Saturday 25 February 2012

Craig And His Infamous List...

Craiglist is equally famous for its 'best of' advertisements too!
The title to this post sounds like the making of a spoof Harry Potter movie. But seriously, what is all this hot air about Craigslist. I mean, I had heard of the site whilst back in the UK, played around with it a bit and quickly got the impression that it is more commonly used in and around cities for sharing classified ads, but in Vancouver (and North America generally for that matter) this site is huge.

The brainchild of Craig Newmark - since arriving in Van I have spent a fair amount of time on this site, as it is a primary port of call for gaining employement (and had I not been with my girlfriend, I probably would have been looking for accomodation on here too!) The site is easy to navigate around, and has this tag line of info that draws you in depending on the certain words that you are looking for!

What's more, after getting fed up with the mundane job searching, you can always dip into the hilarious 'best of' Craiglist ads too, which is a killer way to pass some time, as the nice little story above demonstrates. My experience of the site is so far so good. I haven't had any luck with getting a job (despite applying to loads) but I have managed to purchase a really decent road bike, and make a new friend to go riding with in the process!

You just have to simply reply to the email address provided at the top of any advertisement, and the rest is up to the person that you notified with your interest. Then they will come back to you with more details, an offer, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I looked twice at that picture to see taht it was labelled `kids bracelet` My mind was going in all kinds of directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mind was right, I think. Look again... :P

    ReplyDelete